If you write for love, if you write for money, if you write for both, join the National Writers Union (
www.nwu.org). If you live in New England, you’ll become part of our Boston Chapter (www.nwuboston.org), as well. When you have a contract to sign, you can get free advice on how to negotiate changes you want. If an employer fails to meet agreed-to conditions, the NWU will back you up. The NWU speaks out on issues from copyright to affordable health care. You’ll get monthly national and local e-newsletters, participate in professional programs and webinars, and opportunities for social-networking and for promoting your work (kudos, website, annual book party). — Barbara Beckwith, NWU-Boston co-chair – -
- March 19, 2010 A Reading by Cambridge Center for Adult Education Writing Faculty, including Barbara Beckwith, Sue Katz and Judah Leblang are among the readers. Barbara reads “Truth in a Stack of Letters,” an essay about anti-Semitism.
- June 17, 2009 “First Thursday: Interview Show for Writers” Melita Nasca interviews authors Barbara Beckwith and Charles Coe, Co-Chairs of the National Writers Union’s Boston Chapter, about writing for love and money.
- June 5, 2009 “Faculty Reading” Barbara Beckwith is host and one of the eight readers at the Cambridge Center For Adult Education.
- April 19, 2008 “Writing for Love and Money”
National Writers Union workshop with Barbara Beckwith and Charlotte Dennett at the New Hampshire Writers Day, University of Southern New Hampshire, Manchester, NH.
- March 30, 2008 “How to Get Heard: The Art of Strategic Communication with Editors”
National Writers Union panel with Barbara Beckwith, E. Jeanne Harnois and Shirley Moskow at the “Women Action & Media” conference, M.I.T. Stata Center, Cambridge, MA.
- February 19, 2008 “Marketing Your Articles”
discussion with NWU-Boston co-chair Barbara Beckwith at graduate seminar, College of Communication, Boston University.
- December 12, 2007 “You CAN get there from here”
Reading with Barbara Beckwith and Judah Leblang, McIntyre & Moore Booksellers, Somerville
- October 30, 2007 “Publishing Nightmares”
National Writers Union program with Barbara Beckwith, Charles Coe, and Gina Ogden, Emmanuel Church, Boston
- April 2007 “Getting Your Essays Out Into the World”
Cambridge Center for Adult Education class with Barbara Beckwith & Judah Leblang
- December 16, 2006 “Stories for the Holidays”
- a reading with Barbara Beckwith & Judah Leblang, Bestseller’s Café bookstore, Medford
- October 11, 2006 “Writing Essays for Publication”
National Writers Union presentation with Barbara Beckwith, June Lemen and Edith Pearlman, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, Boston
- March 13, 2004 “Me, Myself and I: How to Write and Market First-Person Essays”
with Barbara Beckwith, National Writers Union workshop, Boston
- December 4, 2008 “White People Challenging Racism: Moving From Talk to Action”
Talk by Barbara Beckwith at the Thursday Morning Lecture Series, Cambridge Center for Adult Education, Cambridge, MA